Wednesday 19 February 2014

Quick Write 2 - Detached

I'm working on the exterior of the space shuttle, everything is going according to plan when all of a sudden the cord attaching me to the shuttle snaps! I panic as i float away, yelling for my partners to help but they can't get to me in time.. I'm gone, too far away from the shuttle to get any sort of communication, I'm so alone and scared. I keep yelling for help even though I know no one can hear me. I'm starting to settle down now and notice that all the yelling and moving was draining my oxygen at a very fast rate, I'm at 25% oxygen and it hits me like a ton of bricks.. It's over now. As I float I look down and notice a beautiful red planet, almost too bright to look at but I keep staring anyway. My deep gaze and contemp is short lived when my suit reminds me I now have 5% oxygen. I can start to feel tears go down my face and I start to think of home.. Of my beautiful wife that i won't ever get to see again, and of my Hansome son who will have to grow up without his father. I see pictures in my head of the earth and of all my favorite places. Now I'm picturing me with my family, smiling, laughing, having the time of our lives. And for this split second I once again feel content, My oxygen is at 1% now. I smile, say my goodbyes even though I can only hear them, and close my eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment